Thursday, June 18, 2015

The Crazy Concept of Connecting

I'm not talking about your Aunt Sally that lives in your grandmothers basement. Although a connection, I don't wish to talk about your crazy connection with her, but the concept of having connections.

Utilizing a Professional Learning Network (PLN) to it's maximum potential may be easier than you think. There are so many technological sites, apps, and streamable media that thinking of connecting personally, with a person, in person is, well, crazy!

I had the great opportunity to speak with a former professor within this past week. I was seeking advice on where to go once the time came for me to graduate. I told him about the course I am taking now, and how it is involving utilizing social media to make great connections. He agreed that it is a wonderful place to be, and there is a lot of information that can be learned if I take the time for it. I can learn about companies, individuals, the company culture, ratings and reviews from current and past employees. Among other things, there really is a lot to learn about different companies that I would like to potentially like to work for.

Back to the concept of crazy. It is crazy to me that we rely so heavily on social media to make all of our connections, and expect them to grow just from that. Through this phone call I remembered something; it isn't difficult to pick up the phone and call someone. Seeking advice from someone over the phone isn't relied on too heavily these days. We sometimes look more towards the Tweets and SlideShare's for advice than we do from our own friends and mentors.

I'd like to challenge you to apply a crazy concept to your life. First, let your crazy Aunt Sally know you are thinking of her. If you don't have a "crazy Aunt Sally" or "crazy Uncle John" well, let's just say someone should be calling you letting you know they have on their mind! -- In all seriousness, apply this crazy concept of connecting with someone this week that you haven't but have been meaning to for quite some time. Reach out to your connections and show them you care. Caring for, and being there for someone this week, could have the most tremendous impact on you and your connection. Reach out. It's really not that crazy.

1 comment:

  1. Justin, what a great thing to do. I took your advice and called an old coworker that I used to go do things with. She moved out of state and is ready to come back. Yes, she wanted to reconnect. She also asked for information on what jobs are open and we caught up.
    We had not spoken for a few months and this was a very timely connection.
    I am sure that you will do well after graduation and wish you the best.
    techtooljule
    #techhrd

    ReplyDelete