Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Countdown . . . 3, 2, Fun!

As the semester course comes to a close, I have realized I have learned a lot within the past six weeks. Some of my classmates have referenced the information coming at us like "drinking from a fire hose". However, I would take it a step further, and say the information we have been given is like drinking from a fire hose while standing in a giant fish bowl. I say this, because I know I haven't been able to take in all the information I received within this short course. My "fish bowl" is the initiative I took in saving all materials and referenced work, so that I can go back and reflect and soak up more of what has been given to me throughout this course.

I was surprised at needing to start a LinkedIn, Twitter, and a blog! A blog?? I've never blogged before and at first I was quite intimidated to do so. I thought that this was only for those great writers who somehow had the magical power of mind-capture, and through that, sucked them into reading whatever they had to say on a daily basis. LinkedIn surprised me with areas I hadn't previously explored, such as the job boards or groups. While I still am not too involved in the groups, I would like to increase my appearances there. And finally, Twitter. I was surprised to learn and re-learn the importance of Twitter. Most significantly, the ability to take in a lot of varied information and articles by following different individuals that post on Workplace Training and Development.

I plan on continuing a blog, and following more individuals blogs. I have found them to be interesting, and it gives a different perspective on materials I am interested in. I have found that blog posts are sometimes more entertaining to read compared to a regular article published in a magazine. I feel the writer has more of a free voice, and I relate to that style at a higher level. I will also utilize more technology into my daily routines. I have found that I am a technological addict. Using different tools that will help me learn more, quicker has got my full attention.

In posting this blog, I will never forget how intimidated I was by starting a blog, but have found that it really isn't that difficult or scary. This has led me to remember that with whatever difficult task I am asked to do, or I sign myself up for, it may be uneasy at first, but as I work through it, I will have gained experiences and new connections I wouldn't have had, if I didn't pursue that specific project. This course has been a lot of fun for me, and I look forward to using those tools and skills learned throughout the course, in my future learning and developing.

2 comments:

  1. There was quite a bit of technology tools out there. I knew there were some out there, but I was not aware of the scope of them. Additionally, it was interesting to see how many of them have such rich features, especially for many of the free use programs.

    There was a question posted somewhere during this class. Perhaps it was a discussion I’ve had with someone during the class. I just can’t recall. But since you brought up the technology addict part and the availability of information, the question is this. With the availability of information, does that quick access of information degrade the knowledge people retain? In other words, are people absorbing the information and making use of it, or are they relying on the quick accessibility of the information to make decisions from?

    Before the Internet, people had to retain the knowledge. They may not have had full access to it, but what they did have, they had to retain and make use of it. They seemed to be more adept at critical thinking skills instead of relying so much on quick access to information.

    From that reading, or conversation, it has me thinking more about the easy access of information and whether people are using it as a crutch. What impact on your functionality would there be if the Internet closed today and you did not have access to quick information?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with you 100% about blogging. At first I thought it would be stressful and difficult, but then as time went on I realized it was actually kind of fun. And yes, I just said fun. I to want to continue blogging because I love to be able to contribute to the internet and it helps me with my writing skills as well. Overall I think this has been one of my favorite OLP courses so far! Like you said it was a great deal of information for only six weeks but we were given resources we will be able to reflect on her many years. What resources did you find most beneficial?

    ReplyDelete