Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Professional Learning Network

I have thought a lot about the idea of a Professional Learning Network even before I knew that is what they were called. In reviewing the ideas and ways to develop my PLN, I have noticed many benefits to starting a PLN. There is always information that is shared throughout blogs, videos, and other means of communication. While in this network, I am able to follow people that have similar professional interests as I do, but it also gives me a chance to explore new ways of learning.

One thing I have started doing is learning a lot from other people. I have connections on LinkedIn and Twitter, and I utilize their experience to help me grow. One specific example is, I found an employee that works at a company I think I would really enjoy working for. I added this person on LinkedIn, and have been talking with them getting to know their background professionally. In doing so, I have found skills that I have, and skills that I could improve upon that might help me obtain a position with this company, but also be able to benefit them once hired.

Learning directly from a person's own experience has a greater impact on me than does reading a textbook or magazine. I like to hear the struggles and real experiences people go through to obtain their status today. Asking these questions and building these relationships is a great way of deepening trust. Building relationships of trust is a great way to get other people to keep an eye out for your needs.

In seeking these individuals out, I have also tried to seek out those that may need my assistance. I heard a great quote that said something to the effect of; "If you help others in need; you will be offered assistance while you are in need." I really enjoy that quote and think that there is a lot of truth to that. When we put ourselves in a situation where we help other people consistently, we will be given the same opportunity to be helped when we are in need. Everywhere I can, I ask "how may I help you to make your day go better?"

A PLN is a chance to help others, either directly through messages and phone calls, or indirectly through posting a blog or article that they will come across and read what you have to say. You never know what positive words you share might take hold in a complete stranger and change them forever.

2 comments:

  1. The point about using LinkedIn to network with an employee at the company you are interested in, is an excellent one. Sometimes the old adage "It's not what you know, it's who you know," applies in job hunting. I've seen that happen too many times over my professional life.

    In essence, aside from learning about the company, you're learning about how companies operate. Some organizations may have unique ways of operating, but there are many overlapping aspects of the job that can be applied universally. Using the PLNs to gain knowledge in the workplace will help you prepare better resumes and be better prepared when it comes time for the interview process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin,
    I like your creativity and open mind. Directly learning from experience and hands on if possible is a great way of learning. I need repetition and to experience the task first hand to be able to learn something new.
    Helping people is such an important step, yet is is very seldom mentioned. Helping others is not only helping them, but also creating a mutual trust. I think that is one of the most important aspects of creating networks or collaborations.
    I enjoyed reading your blog because if gave me a different perspective and also tied in with my work ethic. I developed compliance training for new grant recipients and facilitated it for about 10 years. I worked with faculty, staff, students, and researchers. One thing I learned is that if I had everyone at the same training, there were very few questions. If I had a limited number of people and had exercises that required collaboration, they not only collaborated, they also felt comfortable asking questions because of the trust they had established with their group. Trust is a key factor in learning, teaching, and life in general.
    I will be looking forward to reading your blogs.

    ReplyDelete